Give My Regards to Broadway
Well, we've done movie quotes, and we've done song lyrics. Time to take it to another level.
Some of you know I'm a bit of a theater buff, a trained actor and singer, and very involved in my local community theater group (more on that in a later post.)
So here's what I decided to do for fun. Below you'll find a lyric from a major Broadway musical (or perhaps a very popular off-Broadway musical or two!) For full credit, give us the following: Song Title, Show Title, and composer/lyricist. Partials are allowed! A few of these are easy, but I think most will require some regular intake of Broadway entertainment.
I confess that I'm doing this for a couple reasons. One, I love musicals. Two, I kinda want to find out who amongst my buds knows anything about Broadway or the West End.
Time to find out:
UPDATE: It's HINT time. I'll put hints on the ones nobody's been able to crack at all and we'll see how that goes!
UPDATE #2: The hints have been updated to make it almost impossible to get them wrong. Another day or two and I'll fill in the missing spaces. Too funny to see what others are familiar with in musicals!
UPDATE #3: Okay, I give in. In bold you'll find the answers nobody was able to get. In the end, though, it was cool to see how many of these were answered correctly. Part II someday :-)
1. "Ever since puberty everybody stares at me; boys, girls I can't help it, baby."
Take Me or Leave Me - Rent - Jonathan Larson Jodie K
2. "Talk about the moon floatin' in the sky, lookin' at a lily on the lake."
Happy Talk - South Pacific - Rodgers and Hammerstein Jane - JodieK - JodieK
3. "Dear kindly Judge, your Honor, my parents treat me rough. With all their marijuana, they won't give me a puff."
Officer Krupke - West Side Story - Bernstein/Sondheim Joe the Troll - Joe again - Teacake
4. "The earth says hello. You twinkle above us, we twinkle below."
Good Morning Starshine - Hair - McDermott & Rado/Ragni UV
5. "Don't sigh and gaze at me, your sighs are so like mine."
People Will Say We're in Love - Oklahoma! - Rodgers and Hammerstein JodieK
6. "Simply wrap it round your assailant's neck and pull till he turns blue!"
HINT: A Reese Witherspoon hit adapted for Broadway.
Whipped Into Shape - Legally Blonde - Benjamin & O'Keefe
7. "Will I ever know the sweet 'hello' that's only meant for me?"
Where is Love - Oliver - Lionel Bart Don
8. "What a coarse enterprise, popping pussies into pies!"
The Worst Pies in London - Sweeney Todd - Stephen Sondheim Erin
9. "Here comes a prince. There goes a Jew. This one's a queer but what can you do?"
Beggar at the Feast - Les Miserables - Schonberg & Boublil Gekko - Eden - Eden
10. "I've been a sinner, I've been a scamp, but now I'm willin' to trim my lamp."
Blow Gabriel Blow - Anything Goes - Cole Porter Eden
11. "Earth might be fair and all men glad and wise. Age after age their tragic empires rise."
HINT: From a show I was in, from which I posted a YouTube video of me singing...
Turn Back O Man - Godspell - Stephen Schwartz Gekko
12. "A dream that will need all the love you can give, every day of your life for as long as you live."
Climb Every Mountain - The Sound of Music - Rodgers & Hammerstein Eden
13. "I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so."
Defying Gravity - Wicked - Stephen Schwartz JodieK
14. "She'll try to teach the things I taught her and end up selling flowers instead."
I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face - My Fair Lady - Lerner & Loewe Joe the Troll - UV -
15. "A lady doesn't wander all over the room and blow on some other guy's dice."
Luck Be a Lady Tonight - Guys and Dolls - Frank Loesser UV - Joe
16. "Step in the river! Wade in the river! Soak in the river through and through!"
HINT: A show that's all about a place to pee and the right to use it!
I See a River - Urinetown - Hollman & Kotis
17. "Who'd think this Miss Prim would have opened a window as far as her whim would allow?"
HINT: This show was Angela Lansbury's signature role (though this lyric is not from one of her songs.)
Gooch's Song - Mame - Jerry Herman
18. "Prove to me that you're no fool; walk across my swimming pool."
Herod's Song - Jesus Christ Superstar - Webber/Rice Joe the Troll
19. "They padded their cups, but I screwed the judges."
Miss Baltimore Crabs - Hairspray - Shaiman & Wittman JodieK
20. "We're marching to a faster pace. Look out! Here comes the master race!"
Springtime for Hitler - The Producers - Mel Brooks Joe the Troll
21. "I will paint your houses. I'll milk your cows at dawn."
HINT: Adapted from a frequent cover character from the Weekly World News tabloid.
Let Me Walk Among You - Bat Boy: The Musical - Laurence O'Keefe
22. "And a woman who'll kiss on the second time out is anything but fussy."
Shipoopi - The Music Man - Meredith Wilson Erin - Erin - Gekko
23. "Dreaming of you won't help me to do all that you dreamed I could."
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again - Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber Eden
24. "Gee I'd like a Harley machine, toolin' around like I was James Dean."
Get It! - Little Shop of Horrors - Mencken & Ashman Eden
25. "Soon I'll be a stranger in a strange new place, searching for an old familiar face."
Anatevka - Fiddler on the Roof - Bock & Harnick Jane
Okay, there they are. Hope you have fun where the neon lights are bright.