RANT OF THE LOON - ADVENTURES IN THE LOONEYSPHERE

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pre-ee-ee-pare Ye the Way of the Looooooord

So, I'm doing something I haven't done in many a long year. In fact, it may have been twenty years ago...

Can you say Community Theater?

I knew you could.

Those of you who know me know that I'm a classically trained singer, and that I can hold my own okay. Most of you same folks also know that I lurve my Broadway theater quite a lot.

As for me, I haven't done community theater since I was in high school. I did participate in and direct several large scale church productions with adults and kids during the interim, but nothing outside of that.

People lampoon community theater sometimes, which is sad. When you live in a town of 12,000 people, as far away from metro areas as my town is, you often have to indulge in cultural activities on whatever scale you can. The goal is just to take joy in singing and dancing and carrying on, entertaining your neighbors and friends, and just having a good time.

There's a show I've wanted to do since I was a teenager and just a budding singer. Because I'm so busy with so much else in life, I have not felt I could commit to doing a show, even as a chorus member.

Then my friend Carol called me and asked me about this particular show they're thinking of doing, as she'd never heard of it (folks are pretty sheltered 'round here!) I got goosebumps. Then she said she'd told the director that she had this friend who might want to be in it (that's me, for those of you not following along.) So I said I'd audition.

Oh, what show?

This show:

Godspell

I happend to be a Stephen Schwartz fan, and I have always luuuuurrrved this musical. So I auditioned.

And I'm playing Jesus.

Holy smokes. I'm really excited to get involved. It's taken us some time to assimilate into this community over the past few years, but it seems like it's really home now. We've had a couple rehearsals and I feel like I'm among friends already.

I'll see if I can make some clips and take some pics when we do the show in April! It ain't gonna be no Cameron Mackintosh production, but it will be good fun.

Wish me luck... or a broken leg!

ABOUT

It's about me, dummy!!!

LINKS

Patzer's Progress
Movie Magic Screenwriter
Film Freaks Film Club
Collingwood FC

Newcastle United

Oakland Raiders

San Jose Sharks

BLOGROLL

Light Motifs
Yeah Whatever
LawyerWorldLand
Under the Bridge
Much That is Hidden
Grapes 2.0
Quotidian Vicissitudes
The Fifth Column
Out of Me Head
Ole Blue the Heretic
Stab Film
What is Hip

ARCHIVES

EMAIL

Looney Mail

SITE FEED

CREDITS

Add to Technorati Favorites