RANT OF THE LOON - ADVENTURES IN THE LOONEYSPHERE

Saturday, February 10, 2007

GPoW #5 - Party On, Dudes!

I think I'm pretty picky about my movie tastes. For the most part I know when I'm getting bamboozled and I know when I'm seeing substance.

I'm not a complete snob, however. I can enjoy a lighthearted movie now and then. If it's well plotted, well acted, and tight, then I can have a good time.

But there's one movie that will never make it into anyone else's top 100 that will always be in mine.

Guilty Pleasure of the Week #5: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

There is just something about this movie that makes me feel good about my own youth. These two lugs are likeable knuckleheads with low self-esteem and big dreams. There are two fantastic tropes in it. One is the obvious time-travel story, putting together their history report by kidnapping important individuals from history and bringing them to San Dimas. But the other is the accidental messiah aspect. There's a crazy innocence in the way they just accept what they're told, even when they go into the future, and just deal with what's happening right there, no matter how outlandish.

It's a clever, silly, yet ultimately satisfying romp, seeing the way they overcome their own poor self-images and the low expectations of the adults around them.

And who can argue with the wisdom of Abraham Lincoln?

"Be excellent to each other, and... party on, dudes!"

Your turn...

ABOUT

It's about me, dummy!!!

LINKS

Patzer's Progress
Movie Magic Screenwriter
Film Freaks Film Club
Collingwood FC

Newcastle United

Oakland Raiders

San Jose Sharks

BLOGROLL

Light Motifs
Yeah Whatever
LawyerWorldLand
Under the Bridge
Much That is Hidden
Grapes 2.0
Quotidian Vicissitudes
The Fifth Column
Out of Me Head
Ole Blue the Heretic
Stab Film
What is Hip

ARCHIVES

EMAIL

Looney Mail

SITE FEED

CREDITS

Add to Technorati Favorites