RANT OF THE LOON - ADVENTURES IN THE LOONEYSPHERE

Monday, October 06, 2003

Bloom, Poetry, and I

The poetry section of How to Read and Why is certainly harder than the fiction. I've had an especially hard time with Whitman. Dickinson, Houseman, Tennyson, all of those were a little more accessible.

Emphasis on "little."

For enjoyment's sake, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" was a treat.

I do have difficulty. Not so much with the why. Bloom says we should read to improve our self, who we are, not just to be entertained. I don't quibble with that too much, except to say that a little entertainment isn't a bad thing. I also don't have difficulty with how I should read these poems. It takes more effort, because the layers of meaning and the lyric structure takes a different mindset and approach than reading prose, which I find far easier.

My greatest difficulty is understanding how the form works. Even though I believe Bloom when he says the poems and sonnets he's selected are among the best in literature and worthwhile for all to read, I don't understand what their form lends to that judgment. The content and the insight into the self and the struggle of the will and the soul and all that I ken. I can work my way through it and enjoy it. But I don't understand how the form or structure of a poem takes deep and meaningful content and makes it a poem for the ages.

If anyone has any suggestions, please leave a comment. I'm a little frustrated with this right now.

ABOUT

It's about me, dummy!!!

LINKS

Patzer's Progress
Movie Magic Screenwriter
Film Freaks Film Club
Collingwood FC

Newcastle United

Oakland Raiders

San Jose Sharks

BLOGROLL

Light Motifs
Yeah Whatever
LawyerWorldLand
Under the Bridge
Much That is Hidden
Grapes 2.0
Quotidian Vicissitudes
The Fifth Column
Out of Me Head
Ole Blue the Heretic
Stab Film
What is Hip

ARCHIVES

EMAIL

Looney Mail

SITE FEED

CREDITS

Add to Technorati Favorites